Friday Foto: Graveyard Inspirations


Today, I'm feeling a wee bit on the dark side, so here's a befitting Friday Foto for you: a gravestone in the Old Pentland graveyard.



I discovered the fascinating Old Pentland graveyard, outside Edinburgh, Scotland, by chance when hubby spotted it on one of his random walks. Of course, I had to go and check it out. It's an intriguing place, especially as templars are said to have been buried here.


View from Old Pentland graveyard
Many gravestones there have interesting sculptures on the back, while the front shows the deceased's name and - where available - dates.

Graveyards provide wonderful information for writers. You can gain deep insights into local history when you read the inscriptions, follow the family trails and dates. I always find children's graves especially moving. What caused that particular child to die? How did the death affect the family?

I used to live next door to another old graveyard in Aberdeenshire. The peaceful atmosphere and semi-remote location made me feel strangely safe, living alone in my cottage.

Returning from a recent trip to the outlaws near Loch Ness, we drove down the - less travelled - eastern shore and came across another wonderful, old graveyard. The location overlooking the loch is magical. If I was to be buried, that'd be the place. Inspiring inscriptions, intriguing sculptures and a peaceful, calm location.
Boleskin graveyard, Loch Ness


Call me macabre, but I find old graveyards wonderful places. Well, apart from Greyfriars graveyard in Edinburgh - that's creepy!! ;-)

Comments

  1. Very inspirational, indeed ...
    I've always found graveyards interesting, peaceful and like you wonderful places. I wouldn't mind living near one. Beautiful gravestone, it's definitely unique and it seems that it has a lot to tell. The vista on the Loch is somptuous .. Thanks again for sharing these great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the photos. Especially the locations of these two graveyards makes them so inspiring. Calm and peaceful, that's what a resting place should be like, not near a busy road.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. That's a very interesting headstone. I love the scenery shots too. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley. There were several stones like that, some more withered than this one. The Old Pentland place also has another stone with templar references, but that's locked away & barely visible through a barred window.

      Thanks for popping in.

      Delete
  3. I love your posts! Like visiting another place from my office :) Love the pics, thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much history in these pics. Thanks for sharing with us, Cathie! I love following your blog because it takes me to another place from little old Michigan :) Would love to visit Scotland someday, it's simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Glad to show you my little world. :-)

      You should definitely visit Scotland. Lots to explore.

      Thanks for popping in.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Most read posts

Ascent: free on Kindle June 8th & 9th

Welcome romance author Maggi Andersen

Promo Stop: The Folly at Falconbridge Hall by Maggi Andersen