Taking the Avon Challenge

Nope, I'm not talking cosmetics here, even though you might find an Avon lipstick in my possession...

I'm talking about Avon Romance, and their Impulse ebook line. A good writer friend, Cait O'Sullivan, sent me the link to a blog post, Write for Avon Impulse, and I've decided to go for it.

Never one for easy choices, I've opted for "What walks the halls of Stormclyffe House?" to write a story about a manor that stood empty for 50 years.

I have now created a rough plot outline, setting the story in Victorian Cornwall. A place with a name like that simply must be perched on top of a cliff. Throw in a suicide following a murder 50 years previously, a young, almost penniless heiress, a lord investigating his dark family history, and the dramatic scenery of coastal Cornwall, and I think I have a decent story to go with.

It's only meant to be between 15k and 20k words, so I need to focus on the romance (yup, tell that to a history nut like me), with the plot weaving a web around them. The deadline is 28 days away. Tick, tock...

Should be fun, don't you think? Wish me luck!


Comments

  1. Good luck, Cathie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, missyfrye! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not nearly disciplined (or experienced) enough to tackle something like this, Cathie. Best wishes from me, too, with that looming deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thanks very much. I'm not the most disciplined person either but I've managed just over 2k words today. Quite pleased with that.

      Delete
  4. I saw this submission call. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelley. They have some fab topics on that list.

      Delete
  5. That's the one that caught me eye. You like a challenge, don't you? If you can keep up that pace, with a few days for revisions, then that's about right. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, feel all fired up, got my plot, done 2k words so far.

      Are you going for one of the choices?

      Delete
  6. You picked the right one ... Victorian Gothic ...! I LOVE it, can't wait to read it ... I'm all trepidation ... best of luck .... I know you can do it. Chin up !!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Most read posts

Ascent: free on Kindle June 8th & 9th

Welcome romance author Maggi Andersen

Promo Stop: The Folly at Falconbridge Hall by Maggi Andersen